Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tech Timeline

I have been having computing technology for about 12 years now, encompassing a total of 3 systems. I have just ordered my new system today which brings the total to 4. Now I go back through memory lane and look back at my affiliations with the popular brands in computing power and graphics supremacy..

1997

AMD 90MHz
32Mb RAM
32Mb Riva TNT2

My first PC and I was massively proud of it. Awesome processor and graphics card for its time, capable of handling my favourite game at the time; Star Wars X-Wing vs TIE Fighter to perfection.


2001

TECHDOS v600
Intel Pentium III 600MHz
128Mb RDRAM
20Gb HDD
32Mb GeForce 440MX

My 2nd PC and my longest serving one, stretching from the time of Windows 95 to Windows XP OS. It took 5 years to replace this gem of mine. In that time it handled every game that was thrown at it which included Battlefield 1942 and Warcraft III among others. At close to RM5k (I wasn't convinced of DIY at the time), it lasted so long that I could still switch it on now and use it.


2006

AMD Athlon 64 2GHz
2Gb DDR RAM
80Gb HDD
256Mb GeCube ATI Radeon X550

My 3rd PC being a DIY one, I went for the most value-for-money purchase. It may only be classified as an entry level graphics card, but this Radeon was overclockable, and with sufficient cooling, playing Call of Duty 4 at medium setting with a 30+ FPS was a joy. Other games at its fore were C&C Generals, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & Empire at War. Heck, it could even handle Far Cry and Crysis. I wont ever have the heart to sell my beloved Radeon X550 for scraps.


2009

DELL XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2GHz
3Gb DDR2 RAM
320Gb HDD
256Mb GeForce 8600M GT

My 4th system finally goes mobile. As of how it will perform, that will come down to my 6 months of reserach for once again, the most value-for-money purchase. But one can never deny the sleekness and elegance of a XPS..

No comments: